January Visiting Teaching Message; Christ Comforted

I came across a great quote the other day that had me thinking about the message I want to share with the sisters I visit teach. Below is an excerpt:

This and all non-watermarked images are free and available to download for printing. If you share this image online, please link back to my blog and give proper credit to the source. Thank you.

If the measure of our greatness is in our ability to comfort others, then I believe that our happiness must also depend upon it. Often times in the midst of a trial or as we are caught up in the stresses of life, our thoughts are turned inward and we seek to be comforted. Instead, in times of trial, if we seek to comfort others, I believe we will find the happiness and peace we seek. 

What does this have to do with January's message? Our Savior was the perfect example of this principle, as He is of all principles. When he was suffering on the cross, his heart was drawn out to comfort those around Him, not seeking any comfort of His own. 

When trials of this life weigh you down, seek to follow the Lord's example and comfort others who stand in need of comfort. As you do so, you will be filled with peace and the love of our Heavenly Father and have the companionship of the Spirit. I have seen this principle work in my life. I have seen how quickly I can lose myself and unload my burdens as I take upon me the yoke or work of Christ, which is to serve and to love and to bless those around me.

Jesus said, "Come to me, all ye who are weary and burdened and I will give you rest." How do we come to him? We come to Him by becoming like Him. We can only become like Him when we do what He would do if He were here. He so clearly set the example for us through His spotless life. He taught us that happiness comes, not by seeking our own comfort but by seeking to comfort those around us. 

President Henry B. Eyring teaches this beautiful concept and gives us a powerful promise: 
"By His words and His example, Christ has shown us how to draw closer to Him. Every child of Heavenly Father who has chosen to enter through the gate of baptism into His Church will have the opportunity in this life to be taught His gospel and to hear from His called servants His invitation, 'Come unto me.' Every covenant servant of His within His kingdom on earth...will receive His guidance by the Spirit as they bless and serve others for Him. And they will feel His love and find joy in being drawn closer to Him." ("Come Unto Me" April, 2013)

Comments

Popular Posts