Someone Is Waiting for You to Find Them



I will never forget the first family I found. I was in the BYU Family History Library looking through microfilm and I had no idea what I was doing. A nice old lady came over to help me. I explained to her that I did not have the names of my 5th Great Grandparents on my mother's side. She asked me questions and lead me in the right direction. She helped me find the right film and she helped me learn how to read censuses. She taught me more about family history research in those two hours or so than I've ever learned prior or since. To this day, she is my angel and I don't know who she is or how to thank her.

After hours of research, when we found my Grandmother on the 1880 census and her family, my life changed in an instant. I was filled with such elation and pure joy that I could not contain my tears. I had found someone! I had found a whole family! Shortly after that, it was my privilege to be a proxy for their baptisms and other saving ordinances. The experience was surreal, and what I imagine Heaven feels like. I was filled with a new kind of love. I was filled with love for my forefathers. And an eternal connection was forged.

Fifteen years later, much has changed in the world of genealogy. So much is available online. I cried, literally cried, when all the censuses became available online. There is so much available now at the tip of our fingertips. Family History is not just for old people anymore either. Family History is for anyone who wants to learn more about their roots and who wants to participate in the Hastening of the Lord's Work. And who doesn't want to be a part of that?

Family History is worth your time. Every so often I wake up with the thought that someone is waiting for me to find them. I am sure someone, one of your dear ancestors, is waiting for YOU to find them.

Comments

Popular Posts